My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://peanutandpoppy.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thanks!

Peanut and Poppy

Thursday, December 18, 2008

My First Christmas

Tomorrow kicks off my official vacation. And I am SO excited. For the first time ever, Jimmy and I both have two full weeks of vacation – on the exact same days. This, in itself, is a Christmas miracle.

Christmas has always been my favorite time of year. As a tiny Hilly Bean, it was the anticipation of Santa, decorating my bedroom in strands of Christmas lights, the homemade candy strawberries and peanut butter balls sent from Aunt Gerry, and me and all of my friends riding our new scooters, big wheels and bikes out of our garages simultaneously on Christmas morning. As a teen and into my 20s, it was the time off from school/work, the anticipation of the new clothes from Santa, the search for fun gifts for my family, baking butterscotch haystacks and eating Mom's melt-in-your-mouth fudge, and the always-entertaining Christmas parties with friends. When Taylor was born, the excitement shifted from how special it was for me, to how I could make it special for her. Creating the magic that is Santa, decking the halls with shatterproof decorations, introducing her to "priddy Daddy house liiiiights", and just enjoying time with our newly-expanded family.

But this year is different. It’s my first Christmas celebrating more than Santa, gifts and family (which, yes, is wonderful too). This is the first year that I will experience Christmas as a Christian. I didn't think that Christmas could get any more exciting. But, it has. My eyes well up with tears and my heart is warmed at the sight of a beautifully decorated tree, I get all tingly inside when I hear Christmas carols -- I now sing along, passionate about every word and with a new sense of peace and love (the ones they sing in church, not the Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer stuff they play on 24/7 Christmas music stations), I avoid saying 'Happy Holidays' at all costs, and I am starting new traditions that teach Taylor, and allow us to celebrate, the real reason for the season. This year is different. This year is special. This my first CHRISTmas.

I wouldn't be where I am in my walk with God if it wasn't for a very special little boy who's short time on earth led me to seek something more in life. His name is Poppy, and this is his first Christmas. As hard as it is to top my awesome experience with Christmas this year, it gives me great peace to know that Poppy is also experiencing something very special.

MY FIRST CHRISTMAS IN HEAVEN

I see the countless Christmas Trees
Around the world below.
With tiny lights like heavens stars
Reflecting on the snow.

The sight is so spectacular,
Please wipe away that tear.
For I am spending Christmas
With Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs
That people hold so dear.
But the sounds of music can't compare
With the Christmas choir up here.

I have no words to tell you,
The joy their voices bring.
For it is beyond description,
To hear the angels sing.

I know how much you miss me,
I see the pain inside your heart.
But I am not so far away,
We really aren't apart.

So be happy for me dear ones,
You know I hold you dear.
And be glad I'm spending Christmas,
With Jesus Christ this year.

I sent you each a special gift,
From my heavenly home above.
I send you each a memory,
Of my undying love.

After all, "love" is the gift
More precious than pure gold.
It was always most important
In the stories Jesus told.

Please love and keep each other,
As my Father said to do.
For I can't count the blessing or love,
He has for each of you.

So have a Merry Christmas,
And wipe away that tear.
Remember I am spending Christmas
With Jesus Christ this year.

(Thanks to Paula, a great friend, for passing this along to me.)

I'm off to wrap up loose ends and then start my vacation. I am going to spend the next two weeks enjoying my family, and letting the Christmas spirit overwhelm me. So, I'll be taking a break from posting on the blog for two weeks so that I can focus wholly on my family, and the birthday of my Savior. I'll be back after vacation with lots of stories and lots of pictures, I'm sure. Merry Christmas ya'll.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hillary, May you very first Christmas be everything you've dreamed of and more. I have read your entire blog and have enjoyed very much your fresh perspective on life, on God, on happiness and on loss and pain. You are a very brave woman. May Christmas bring you and yours much joy and gladness!

December 19, 2008 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Merry CHRISTmas Hilary!!! Even in the short time I've known you, your whole demeanor has changed. I'm grateful God crossed our paths!! I hope you enjoy every moment of your two weeks off... and you better keep Taylor away from any mistletoe!!!

December 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger The Cornwalls said...

Merry CHRISTmas!!
You do such a great job of expressing yourself and your feelings! I am so glad that God is living in you and you get to have Him at this wonderful time of the year!
Love you!

December 19, 2008 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I hope Tays twin and your family have a very Merry Christmas! I am so jealous that y'all have 2 FULL weeks together! My hubby and I would get along for about 1 week and then we would start to get on each others nerves. Ha. I cannot wait for your reurn to hear ALL about your CHRISTmas! Oh..and Tay and the LIFE SIZED Dora doll!

December 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Life Glimpsed: The Denglers said...

hil - that is awesome. i can't wait to hear about your christmas this year. are you guys doing christmas with the carters, too? xoxoxoxo

December 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home