Uncle Matt
We had a fun treat this week. My brother stopped by for two days and one night for a short visit and quality time with Taylor. He took a vacation from work (he's a Paramedic in Denver) and hit the road for a cross country trip. He drove from Denver, stopped by my parent's house in St. Louis, then headed to Asheville for some camping, then visited our old stomping ground of Winston-Salem, went to Chapel Hill to see more friends, then drove to see us on the coast. He headed out last night to drive back through NC for more time with friends and a little fun at a music festival in the mountains and maybe to celebrate Cinco De Mayo at Lake Norman. He'll then head home next week, stopping through St. Louis again for more time with our parents, then back to Denver. He had already logged about 2,000 miles when he visited us, and estimated that it would be a total of about 5,000 miles by the time he got home.
It was so good to see him. He's my little brother. The same guy that I didn't know existed for the first 17 years of my life. We became good friends when I was away at college, and have been on good terms ever since (read: I haven't drawn blood). Although I still don't know how we came from the same womb, I love him to death. He is such a kind soul, one that loves his friends and family deeply. I care about him and worry about him, just like any big sister. I don't think those feelings ever fade. He cares about me and worries about me too. I guess it's a sibling thing.
Taylor had a blast. The past two days have been filled with giggles and "Uncle Matt, watch this!" and "Where's Uncle Matt?" and "Uncle Matt, come play trucks!" and hugs and showing off. She is lucky to have such a fun and loving Uncle. And I am lucky to have such a wonderful brother.
Matt and Jimmy spent the majority of our time at the beach building sandcastles, which Taylor would then destroy with glee. Sliding down the sandcastle...
Or just tearing it up like a dog trying to find his bone.





After the beach, Taylor took a nap while Jimmy and Matt went fishing. We then headed to dinner at a new local Mexican restaurant. Taylor ate more salsa than I could eat, trying to blow it off to cool it down, and then repeatedly complained of her belly hurting. Needless to say, we had to head home pretty quickly.
Matt then got farewell hugs from all and hit the road again. Taylor's face says it all: please don't leave, Uncle Matt. We'll miss you.

1 Comments:
AWWW....It looks like y'all had a GREAT visit! I am taking Tay to the beach for the first time this summer!! Not all of us can live as close to the beach as some...ahem!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home