My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://peanutandpoppy.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thanks!

Peanut and Poppy

Monday, November 10, 2008

Operation Elmo

Taylor loves Elmo. And Dora the Explorer. But, she adores Elmo. So naturally, we’ve used the fuzzy red guy in the scheme to potty train and to handle paci-withdrawal. So far, the paci-weaning has not been too bad. She whines for it only when she’s cranky or bored. We’ve totaled about four Category 5 tantrums so far. At home, I can usually distract her onto other things, and she forgets before her eyes pop from her head and her ears begin to steam. But, in the car, when her mind begins to wander to paci-land, I try to rationalize with her. When she asks for it, I tell her ‘baby Elmo has your paci because he’s a baby. Isn’t it nice of you to give your paci away to your favorite little baby. You’re a big girl, not a baby. Elmo loves big girls.’ And on and on. Well, she’s not having that.

Exhibit 1: In the car on Saturday...
Taylor asks, “Mommy, paci?”
I answer, “baby Elmo has your paci, sweetie”
“Nooooooo,” says Taylor
“Yes, sweetie, Elmo is a baby and he needs your paci”
To which Taylor responds, “no, Mommy, me baby! My paci.”

Apparently, there is a limit to Elmo-love. So, we sang the ABCs all the way to our destination to keep her mind off of her paci. And that worked. This whole parenting thing sure develops your creativity. Thank goodness for my right brain-iness.

PROCEED READING AT YOUR OWN RISK.
POTTY TALK BELOW.

Now, the status of the potty. We had a HUGE success on Saturday when Tay made poopy in the potty. WHOOHOO! There’s a little disclaimer to it though. I know what my baby looks like when she’s “making a deposit.” I grabbed her, ran to the bathroom and placed her on her Cushie Tushie throne. So, she didn’t instigate seeking the potty, but it was a successful deposit nonetheless. We had a HUGE celebration. I have never been so excited to see poopy. I think I actually scared her with my screaming and 900 hugs. So, that was very exciting. But, the tinkle part is much more difficult. I never know when she has to tinkle. It just happens. After talking with a few experienced potty trainers, we implemented Operation Elmo on Sunday. We went to the store and made a big deal out of buying her first pair of Elmo panties (and some Dora ones too). We got home, explained that ‘we don’t pee pee on Elmo’ and dressed her in her new panties. We asked her every 10 seconds or so (no exaggeration) if she had to go potty. She’d usually say “nope” and continue on. But, every once in a while, she’s say “yes.” We’d drop what we were doing and SPRINT to the bathroom. She’d get her Cushie Tushie off the rack in the cabinet, pull up the step stool, lift the lid, ask for help to get on the potty and sit down. She’d instruct you to sit down on the floor and she’d begin to sing “Tinkle tinkle little har, ha ha ha ha ha…” and sway her head from side to side. She’d say “all done” and hop down. But there was never any tinkle in the potty. She just liked the process. We did this for about 3 hours last night. My thighs got a great workout, but, alas, no tinkle success. We had several accidents, which occurred between the every 10 seconds that we’d ask. Seriously. The child peed five times, totally on cue between the times that we’d ask if she had to potty. There was one time, about 3 hours in, that Jimmy was on tinkle duty and she had an accident. (We agreed that we NEVER want to show any sort of frustration towards her as she learns – which, by the way, is really hard!). I overheard Jimmy, as the accident was occurring, gently tell Taylor, ‘No, baby, we don’t tinkle on Elmo. He can’t swim.’ I had to muffle my laugh.

So, there you have it. It’s only been two days, but Operation Elmo has not been successful thus far. Taylor does not care about Baby Elmo needing her paci because, DUH, she is a baby too. And, apparently, she does not care for his sanitation or safety because she drowns him in pee. I’ll keep you posted on our progress. Prepare your snorkel, Dora, you’re next.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Cornwalls said...

i am glad there has been some success... more will come, followed by several set backs.

and a word from a mom who has been there, bring 2 extra sets of clothes everywhere you go... from now on!

good luck!!

November 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger carnold said...

You are not right! Actually, Jimmy is not right! Elmo can't swim?! I'm going to send Reese to your house when it's time for potty training. You two are hilarious and I hope you keep the stories coming!

November 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Colton's Journey said...

That super sweet telling Taylor that Elmo can't swim! I've heard the naked approach works. We just started and only had one accident because I got distracted. Great tips!

November 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi! I came across your blog from...not really sure, but wanted to invite you to check out my blog! I also have a Tornado named Taylor! She turns 2 on December
15th...FYI do not judge my entire blog on the most recent post..I admit it sucks. Better ones before and better ones to follow!

November 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger Allison (aka Leah's mom) said...

You're such a good mommy! I'd probably never think of some of the creative ideas that you have. I love that Taylor is older than Leah so I can get all of your helpful tips for when I hit that stage with her.

November 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home