My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://peanutandpoppy.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thanks!

Peanut and Poppy

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Steps to Saving

OK, I have received two messages an overwhelming response to my recent Coupon Crazy post. You want to know just how it is that I accomplish this fun feat. First of all, I want to thank the Academy. My family. My local gas station. And, most importantly, the girls from my Mommy's small group. Honestly, it's these fellow crazy clipping Mommies that are the experts.

Before I start, for most of you that read this blog just to see Taylor and hear about her sassy antics, I promise that this won't become a bargain blog. However, I will most definitely be sharing, from time to time, my saving victories and new resources that are sent my way.

Now, back to business. Keep in mind that I am still a novice at this. But, here are the steps to saving as I have taken them. Shop on, friends!

STEP 1: Choose a Sales Database
In my opinion, Southern Savers is the way to go. I tried the Grocery Game and just didn't love it. GG charges a subscription; SS does not. They both provide the same info, as far as I could tell. GG may have more pretty colors and spreadsheets but I really didn't want to pay for a service when I was trying to learn to save. So, SouthernSavers.com. Visit the site, familiarize yourself with the data and lingo, check out the Getting Started Guides at the top of the toolbar, and make sure you subscribe to their emails.

STEP 2: Start Buying Sunday Papers
In our area, The Raleigh News & Observer is the best paper for Sunday coupons. Note that you must physically find a store/gas station that carries this paper, go out, and buy it every Sunday. I tried subscribing and having it sent to my home, but they do not include coupons in mailed subscriptions. Do they think I wanted the papers for the news? Uh, no. So, start buying Sunday's papers. Also note that you have to go early. Like before the early service at church. There are more than a few crazy coupon clippers out there camping out and waiting for the papers to arrive. Also, before you let the paper box's door close, make sure your paper has the coupons included -- some people just grab the coupons and leave the paper, I guess for those that actually buy the paper for the paper. Whoever you are.

STEP 3: Collect and Prepare
I have been collecting coupons for 3 weeks so far and am just now starting to see big returns. Simply put, the more coupons you have, the more you will save. Read SS's article on coupon organization and choose a plan that works for you. For me, it's plan #1. Organize yourself and then start looking for your store of choice's weekly specials to be unveiled on SS. They usually post the week's specials a few days before they are announced/take effect. SS will list the specials, the coupons that pair with the specials (and the circular name/date that has the coupon), and (usually) the resulting cost (pennies, free, etc). Make sure you read all of the comments on the week's posts before you go -- members often have found other deals and coupons that are not included in the article that you'll want to take advantage of.

STEP 4: Shop till You Drop
Once you have all of your coupons and your grocery list compiled, head to the store. Scour the aisles (I keep my coupons in order of how the store is laid out) and find your deals. Then, head to check out. From what I understand, most stores only allow 20 coupons per transaction, so you may have to ring up in multiple orders. (I have not yet been asked to do so, but most of my friends have). Finally, watch the total add up as the items are purchased, then watch as the total drops dramatically as the coupons are calculated! Savings success! Skip out of the store with free groceries, a balloon and a cookie.

Again, I have only been doing this for 3 weeks and have learned a TON of information. Some people, like Southern Savers, dedicate their lives to this game, so there is no way I can include all of the tricks of the trade in one post. But I hope that this gives you two all hundreds of you a good start. It's an awesome awesome game. Give yourself at least 3 weeks and you, too, will be coupon crazy!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your blog, and love it! I like your explanation of this coupon madness... I may actually try it now! :) - Kirsten

July 16, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home