My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://peanutandpoppy.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thanks!

Peanut and Poppy

Monday, November 17, 2008

Knife Fights & Oyster Roasts

This weekend was a busy one. From downtown knife fights to waterfront oyster roasts, we didn’t sit still for long. On Friday night, we brought Taylor over to Reese’s house for a little playtime while the adults had a work-related dinner downtown on the Riverwalk. It was a win-win. Tay got to spend time with one of her favorite tots and a babysitter that she adores, and we got to practice our adult-only socialization skills. You see, since we had Taylor, I don’t get out much. I’m a Mommy and I love being a Mommy. I love spending time with my family and don’t really enjoy being away from them. It’s just the way I am. But, when work calls, I am there. Thankfully, I like my work. And it happened to call to a very yummy dinner. But because I spend the majority of my time with a toddler, or with friends that spend the majority of their time with toddlers, my formal dinner skills are not very polished. Like, I don’t know how to use a knife unless it’s for cutting chicken nuggets. So, as I was quietly slicing my entrée at the elegant dinner, my inexperienced hand decided that it’d rather have an impromptu knife fight with my arm. My hand threw my teriyaki sauce-covered knife at my arm, and then loudly to the ground. The sound echoed through the seating area, stopping everyone in their eating tracks. Many were concerned, and I was now bathing in teriyaki glaze. It was a true “Hilary moment”.

Me and Court at dinner, pre-knife fight

On Saturday, Jimmy had to work, so Tay and I had some quality "Mommy and T" time. Tay put on yet another fashion show for her stuffed friends while I did chores. It was quiet for a while, so I went searching for her. And, after opening the cabinet under the bathroom sink, this is the fashionista that I found.

After naptime, we made our way to a friend’s house for a Fall Oyster Roast. They have a cool house on the water with a huge backyard that offers ideal kiddo playspace. There were tons of kids there, ranging in age from 11 months to 40 years. Tay spent her time being taught how to use an adding machine by an “older man”, dancing with Aunt Witter, eating a lot of weird styrofoam-looking veggie sticks, and watching a few Uncles pelt each other in the face with raw veggies (see, THIS is the company that I keep...hence the lack of adult socialization). We had a blast. And Uncle Derek ended up with a black eye from a cherry tomato.

Some of the "younger" kids playing
A heart-to-heart about addition and subtraction.
Tay just wants to play football.
Dancin' with Aunt Wit.......................................................................Dr. T














On Sunday, we went to church. Following a very powerful and emotional service, I settled myself with a larger-than-life cinnamon roll during breakfast with the Arnolds (Reese and company) at Sweet N Savory. Nearly a pound of icing covered that sugary brown beauty. Nothing like some comfort food on a lazy, chilly, emotional Sunday afternoon.

After naptime, when we knew we'd be confined to the house for the rest of the day, we went into potty training mode. And, guess what? Tay tinkled in the potty TWO times! (How appropriate.) And so she got to enjoy her Tinkle Treats, and we got to enjoy a sugar-fueled toddler. We spent the rest of the evening with continued training, doing the occasional "happy tinkle dance", and just enjoying the Tay.

Checking on a pretend-sleeping Daddy.
A quick pause to smile with Mommy.Tinkle Treat-happy.
And that was our weekend. It was a good one. Although Sunday was emotional, it was a desperately-needed message. Our church posts its messages in video-form online a few days after the service. Once that’s up, I’ll post the video, and a few thoughts for my own personal therapy. The message was powerful and healing. Sad but uplifting. Inspirational, relieving and optimistic. It was exactly what I needed right now. Perfect “timing”, once again. Our God is so good to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger laura witter said...

a) i had so much fun dancing with tay. that's the most we've hung out. i think she's just like me ... feeling people out before committing to a friendship. smart move.

b) i can't believe i missed sunday. this was one of those "blah, i want to handle things on my own" weeks. i'll have to watch the video.

November 17, 2008 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger The Cornwalls said...

you did have a busy weekend.
i will defiantly check out the video once it is up :)
see you thursday

November 17, 2008 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger ashley said...

Dillon gets an "M" (M&M) when he goes potty. And you have to wave bye to your pee-pees!

I love Tay's outfit - she definitely got her mommy's sense of style! ;)

November 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home